Chapter 4- Jack (pt. 2)

There was one hour left in his school day when the dot began to move away from Jack’s house. Down the road, around the corner, back onto the main highway…headed toward the airport.

With no plan in mind, Jack calmly gathered his belongings, rose from his seat and walked out of the room. He didn’t hear his teacher call, “Jack, where are you going? Jack, get back here.” He just walked and kept walking. Still, with no plan, he scanned his security card at the gate, and kept walking.

Jack had walked for a few minutes when he realized that, until that moment, he had only ever left the school in a car. He’d never actually set foot in this part of town. He looked around the unfamiliar streets and started to feel panic set in. Going to back to school was not an option, yet he didn’t want to keep wandering in this unfamiliar territory.

A passing taxi slowed as it passed Jack and his horn gave two short honks. Jack looked his direction and the driver made a twisting gesture with his thumb and forefinger indicating, “Want a ride?” Jack opened the door and climbed in the backseat. “Where to?” the driver asked.

Jack hesitated. “The airport?” he said, his voice turning the statement into an uncertain question.

As the taxi drove toward the airport, Jack pulled up the tracking app on his phone. He watched his dad’s dot come to a rest at the airport, and then:
Dad’s phone- last seen 1 minute ago.

Jack just stared at the screen as the minutes beside his dad’s name kept ticking up. Last seen 2 minutes ago. Last seen 3 minutes ago. Last seen 4 minutes ago.

Comments

  1. I like how your characters' actions are paralleling each other. I'm beginning to wonder when or if they will intersect. You've got great momentum going in your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun to scroll back and read the beginnings of your story. I like the suspense in this slice!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel as if I know Jack, although I have missed a few of your slices, I can still relate to your character. Very good descriptive writing. I will definitely read your slice tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm. An unexpected turn, tension building, and I'm intrigued...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you writing a novel? I just found your post (because of your mentioning international life on another blogger's page and today's theme of 'finding your audience' and all) and I am so intrigued! (PS I am Mel Marie for this challenge... it won't let me change to my wordpress account to comment!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The phone tracking suspense in the last line is excellent...but so is the entire story. I really hope it ends well for this kid.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

to Redemption

to Mrs. McCurdie

to Wild Places