Reflections on Fiction

Like everyday so far this March, I logged on to the TwoWritingTeachers blog, loaded the post for the day, and read through the announcements.

Oh, no! I thought to myself. Are they talking about me? Am I doing this wrong? Am I one of the folks they reference who "is not adhering to the values" of the community?

Then I went back and scoured the website for every mention of what it means to slice. Phew, I breathed a little easier, certain that I have been not writing "book reviews, give-aways or promotional information." But I didn't let myself off the hook so easily...throughout the day, I kept thinking, what is the true spirit of this writing challenge and this writing community? Am I adhering to that spirit if I use this month to write a long-form fictional piece?


After reading literally every reference to "slicing", I believe that the spirit of this endeavor can be captured in these phrases from the recent post:
"It is through story that we adhere to our value of the ordinary and the simple."
"Developing a daily writing habit centered around everyday occurrences is what helps us as writers to grow and expand on this natural and organic experience."
"truly get to know our community"

And here is my defense for fiction as a legitimate form of slicing:

Sherman Alexie, in his book You Don't Have to Say You Love Me (which you should read) warns us that "if you are going to write fiction, it had better be true." This line in the book resonated with me because, as an avid reader, fiction has always portrayed the truest portrait of life as I experience it. I connect to average novels in a way that even my favorite non-fiction has never offered.

Until two weeks ago, I had never tried my hand at writing fiction. Now, I sit everyday and reach deep into my memories and imagination. I recall feelings long forgotten and look for things I've always overlooked. As I add a little each day, I am shocked how true this made-up story has become for me. Not, of course, in a this-really-happened sense, but in the sense that it has allowed me to express emotions and ideas from a more objective place than when I am writing about myself. I am amazed how it has caused me to reflect on and analyze life--my attitudes, my feelings, my behaviors, my environment, my biases--in ways that writing small moments from my real life never has.

While none of the characters are me, each character holds a part of me. Through Jack, I get to explore the challenges I have faced trying to navigate friendships across economic and cultural difference while living in a developing country. Through Akua, I get to live out my childhood fantasy of searching for my dead father. In Ms. Dorothy, I get to confess my biggest regrets and failures as a teacher. I am exploring my own experiences of loneliness and friendship, hope and despair...I find myself free to do all of this in a less inhibited (therefore more true) way than if I we're writing about myself.

A second pleasant surprise from the process is the joy I've found in describing the details of the setting. Ghana has been my home for five years, and as I prepare to leave I am so grateful for the way this writing challenge has forced me to experience my physical environment in such a detailed, intimate way. Each scene from my story is set in a real place (or combination of real places). I am so happy to have captured them for my memory, but also grateful to be developing a more observational disposition. Though I am in my last months here, the walk home from school feels more exciting than it did five years ago.

I realized that aside from a few people (that'd be you, Brian and Molly. I am so appreciative of your commitment as Welcome-Wagoners. Your thoughtful comments have been so motivational to me), no one will ever see this story. Yet, I feel that those who do may have a better sense of the real me than some people with whom I interact everyday. More importantly, I am getting to know and understand myself more deeply. And this is why I am sure that fiction can be a "slice of life".

Comments

  1. I am blown away that you've never tried to write fiction before, for you surely have a talent for it. I love how writing during the challenge has helped you tap into and express so much of yourself, your past, and your present. This reflection is so heartfelt and honest and I feel honored to be a small part of your experience this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what Molly said. This welcome-wagon business has proven especially gratifying in your case, Alex. Your story along with this reflection are compelling. Write on!

    As for who *else* gets to experience your Ghanaian tale, that is a choice largely up to you. I wonder: Who else needs to read it? I also suspect it may take more than a month to tell, so I hope you'll think ahead about what will keep you motivated when the story challenge closes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my 5th year slicing and this is the first time I've ever seen anyone try writing this way. It's awesome, to put it plainly. I am an avid fan of long-form fiction and having read through this reflection, I'd vote that you've found a loophole in the standard "rules" of the SOL challenge. One that I encourage and hope you'll never think twice again on if you're doing this right. It is right. It's you playing as a writer in the way that feels most natural; having said that I can't believe this is your first go at fiction writing. You're too good to be a novice. I'm excited to see what churns out this second half of the month.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

to Redemption

to Mrs. McCurdie

to Wild Places