Spring Break in T-minus 1 hour

The only thing standing between me and Spring Break is one full, 360-degree rotation of the minute-hand around the clock. The librarian had planned to lead the students for the hour, but a last minute conflict has left me sitting in front of them with no plan.

"Ummm...I'm going to find a Bill Nye movie that we can watch..." I say, clearly sounding unsure about the plan, but knowing kids love movies and it is a treat we don't indulge in often in 3C. I turn on the screen and start searching for something related to our most recent inquiries.

"But, Mr. Alex," I hear from a soft voice in the crowd, "a few us are still designing a new game for morning meeting and we'd really like to use this time work on that."

"Okay," that seems fair, "you can do that." I find a video that will work and drag it onto the projector screen, about to press play.

"Mr. Alex," another confident voice stops me, "you said that the best way to build muscle memory is to practice keyboarding everyday. My science investigation took longer than expected, so I didn't get around to it today. I think I should probably practice keyboarding." A trio or so of me toos agree

Sounds legit. "Of course, if you think that would be a better use of your time, go for it." I return my finger to the mouse, but am interrupted again.

"Mr. Alex, at recess Rayan and I were talking about our box design. We have a new idea for the next iteration, could we work on that instead?"

How can I say no to that? "Go for it," and then to the rest of the class, "does anyone want to watch the movie?"

There is a murmur among the remaining crowd and finally one voice emerges above the rest, "It's not that we don't WANT to watch the movie, it's just that we only have an hour and there are some more important things to do."

"By all means," I say to the whole class and then watch in amazement as all of the kids (okay, all but one) set off on some task.

I sit beside the one little guy who doesn't seem to know how he will spend the hour and after some conversation, he decides to revise a poem for the first part and then read "in the zone" for the rest. Then, I step back and soak it in. Not everyday is like this, and it has taken a lot of work to get here.

I watch them all--pursuing passions, following inquiries, tracking their progress toward a goal they've set for themselves. The minute-hand makes its rotation around the clock and before we know it is time to go home. The collective moan when I say that its time to go fills me with joy.

In my fourteen years as an elementary teacher, my core philosophies have remained steady, and each year I get a little better at creating a learning community that more closely aligns with those values. My new focus on creating space for students' voices and choices seems to be making a difference. Could it be that after 14 years, I'm finally hitting my stride? This last hour before Spring Break has left me with the feeling that I'm at least get closer.

Comments

  1. Wow, wow, wow! What a great way to start into vacation! I don't know if teachers ever arrive (even after 30 some odd years of doing this) but you are definitely getting really close!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day when students know what's important for them in school. Great way to start your break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackpot!!! Your instinct to go with student voice and choice supports personalized and lifelong learning. Enjoy a well deserved Spring Break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great moments -- I'm glad you captured them in a slice, and I commend your students for speaking up as they did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a great hour! Aren't you glad the librarian had to cancel!? I love how your students advocated for themselves and selected meaningful activities. Clearly you've done something right! Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the time of year that I always see my students come into their own. Even though spring has yet sprung, it is harvest time for teachers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

to Mrs. McCurdie

to Redemption

to Wild Places