to Redemption

This March, I need to redeem myself. 


In March of 2018, I wrote every day. The words flowed from my fingertips. The experience felt transformative. During that month, I easily fell into a writing routine that felt familiar and invigorating all at once. I perceived the world with more vibrant colors. I found meaning in the smallest details of life. Then, April 1 came. And I stopped.


Despite understanding, with acuity, the positive impact a regular writing practice had on my life, I stopped making time for it. As the year dragged on, I galvanized myself for the upcoming March. I promised I would find that groove again and ride that wave through the month and into the rest of my life.


In March 2019, I wrote three slices. In March 2020, I didn’t even try. As the next new year approached, I reasoned with myself, “maybe writing daily is too much, too overwhelming, let’s try for once a week.


I hatched a plan to write weekly. I decided that an audience would inspire me so I bought 52 postcards with the intention of writing a message of gratitude to someone each week.


Today is March 1, 2023 and 47 postcards still sit on a desk.


This is my month for redemption. There will be 17 postcards left when April rolls around. I’ve already put a name on the back of each one. Each day, I will write a “slice of life” story about the selected people, then jot a short note on the postcard. The story will be posted to my blog, the note will be dropped in the mail and I will find my groove again!

 

Comments

  1. I hear you! I did the Slice of Life challenge for several years and then missed the goal one year and didn't sign up the next few years. I would also like to get a daily writing habit going. I love your idea about writing about people in your life. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea of guaranteeing that you have a topic for each day of the challenge. I understand the difficulty of writing 31 days in a row and coming up with a good topic. Some days my topics are far from good, but I write anyway. Here's to a good writing month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you decided to try again. I hope you enjoy your experience and are able to form some lasting habits!! Best Wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so appreciate your honesty and realization that even though the act of writing makes you happier, you stopped doing it. I feel the same way. I love the idea of people and postcards for writing topics and gratitude. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea!

    I always think I am going to keep writing, but by April 5 I'm done. :). This year I even struggled to get to it every Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back Alex. I remember your posts in 2018, I looked forward to them. You held your readers then and I know you'll do so this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! What a really neat project. I wish you luck. It is quite the understanding. And welcome back. It’s been hard to slice over the last few years. It’s all really taken it’s toll.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the best for completing 31 days of slicing this year, I'm sure you can do it and will look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

to Mrs. McCurdie

to Wild Places