to Mrs. McCurdie

“It sounds like the town from Footloose,” is a common response to the stories I share about life in my hometown. There was only a single radio station whose transmission managed to reach our far flung corner of the middle of nowhere; its tagline was “where the mountains meet the prairies, this is wide open country.”


Open skies? Sure. Open spaces? Definitely. But from the perspective of a flamboyant nine year-old, the place could feel pretty closed off. I was nearly the same age as MTV in 1991, having been born one year after they famously aired the world’s first music video. But thanks to a nearly unanimous vote from our very heterogeneous community, the popular channel was not available as part of any of the cable packages offered in our town.


It’s fair to say we were all ignorant to much of what existed beyond our highway exit #355. Imagine my delight when a neighbor’s cousin arrived with a collection of compact discs, organized alphabetically in a zippered case, full of music that didn’t hold the twang of a steel guitar. In the collection was Michael Jackson’s album, Dangerous. I spent the day listening to Track 7 on repeat as Michael told me over and over again that “there’s a place that is love” and “in this place there’s no hurt or sorrow.” If I ever let it play onto the next track, I would have heard him proclaim that it “don’t matter if you’re black or white,” but I don’t recall listening beyond Heal the World, and even if I had, my level of racial awareness was so low the lyrics would not have registered.


This is the backdrop upon which my fourth grade year was unfolding.


to be continued…


 

Comments

  1. It sounds like we grew up in similar times and places! I loved my rural upbringing, but I also loved all of the "discoveries" I made as I grew old enough to venture out from my small town, too. You've set the scene so well, I can't wait to read about 4th grade...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a heartwarming letter to Mrs McCurdie. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so immersive! I can picture that small town where time stands still (the “town from Footloose”—that’s a perfect line) and the ingrained memories of legendary music and an inspiring teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had you told this story a year ago, I’d be shocked to learn there are towns where kids grew up w/out MTV in the 80s and 90s. Now I read this as a possible allegory to the lives many will lead if current attempts to erase the historical record and replace it with American exceptionalism mythology succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading your compelling words...what stands out to me is that gratitude is a beginning place for healing the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You painted the picture of the town you grew up in, not just from the tagline, but the highway exit and the cable coverage. No need to name it, we get its vibe perfectly. Glad you set the stage for more posts to come!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so fun. Loved the image of the zippered compact discs and you listening to Dangerous without a sense of perspective. Reminds me of the days before digital.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was very nostalgic in my post today too! I enjoyed reading what was important to you then and what you took with you to today

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree w/all of the above. My cousins grew up in a town with one stoplight so I know these places exist. Great imagery. I'm glad you took your great experience with Mrs McCurdle and it transitioned into your own experience as an educator. i was inspired similarly by my sixth grade teacher, and you never forget them as you sort of pay it forward.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

to Redemption

to Wild Places