I'm Counting Up

Instead of the traditional countdown from Spring Break to the end of the school year, this year, I'm counting up...

I'm counting every sweet, fresh pineapple I eat.
I'm counting every "good morning" and "you're invited"
I'm counting every time I splash in the pool to beat the tropical heat.
I'm counting every serving of "pepee" that accompanies my fresh plantain.
I'm counting every conversation I share with my TA that isn't about students.
I'm counting every Club beer, served cold or warm.
I'm counting every run to the zoo where I say hello to my friend, the hyena.
I'm counting every reading conference with students under the mango tree outside my classroom door.
I'm counting every long, loud belly laugh we share at lunch.

When the last day finally arrives, I won't be waiting for it, but I'll be ready for it, knowing that I tallied up so much joy in these final days.

Comments

  1. Here's wishing you much joy as you end your time in Ghana. I can only daydream about reading conferences under the mango tree. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleverly flipped! I applaud the mindset you're embodying here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

to Redemption

to Mrs. McCurdie

to Wild Places